Sunday, June 28, 2009

Lucha Pulgar

Here's a guide I wrote to making lucha libre masks for your thumb, adding a new dimension to the ancient and noble sport of thumb wrestling.

The idea came about while I was working on an art project, which eventually morphed into this series of photos. The wrestling ring has a mat made from the plastic cover from an old visual diary, and electrical wires for ropes.







































My friend Mollusk and I then used the thumb masks as the basis for a day of art with a class of grade two kids. They designed their own lucha libre masks, first as a collage, then making real felt masks, and finally miniature versions for their thumbs. I think (and we hope) that we may have created the next banned activity for the playground at that school.

No comments:

Post a Comment